Thursday, November 4, 2010

We all need nights like tonight

Tonight was special. We stayed home and enjoyed being with each other. This doesn't happen often enough and so it felt wonderful...I'd be so content if the rest of November was like this.

Earlier in October I was in Seattle. On the way there I looked out the airplane window just in time to be dazzled by the sunlight dancing off Mt. Rainier as we flew by. And I suddenly missed my hubby terribly because the last time I saw this mountain - we were on our honeymoon and hiked up a path near the visitor center and saw a small herd of elk walk through a clearing in the fog.


On the flight home as we began approaching the landing, I looked out the window to a view of crop circles, streams and rivers criss-crossing themselves over Iowa below. It's hard to believe less than a month ago this landscape was lush and green.


My dear husband picked me up at the airport and whisked me away to Nebraska for the weekend where we enjoyed supper with friends, and then got to help with harvest and ride in the combine.


Then the week before last we explored the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis and posed with Trigger and Bullet.

Last week we watched in awe as the six- and eight-horse hitches filled the Jacobsen Arena at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines at the World Percheron Congress.

The dapples from Flat Rock Percherons in Ohio were my favorites. And they must have been the favorites of about everyone else there too because of all the thunderous applause and standing ovation they received from the crowd every time they circled the arena.


October was certainly a fun month. We enjoyed all the adventures along the way. But nothing compares to a quiet evening at home, snuggled on the sofa under a pile of blankets with the man I love most, watching PBS. Ah, yes. The good life. I love it and can't wait for Date Night At Home - Part II tomorrow evening. The weather is supposed to be cooler and the pile of blankets sounds even better!

1 comment:

  1. You two are cute and I'm really glad you started a blog. I think you will have so many followers as you are funny. I'm sitting up with the help of the pillows behind me. Thanks again for taking me yesterday, if it wasn't for people like you Bethy, I would have little faith left in the world. Thanks for always being there for me and taking time away from your work to help your sick friend.

    ReplyDelete