Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Firmly grounded and so glad to be home

That there is my luggage. All two allowable pieces: one regulation size carry-on and my personal item. Oh yes, and my breakfast. We, me and my luggage, had an early start this morning. We were at the SeaTac Airport in Seattle by 5AM. Thanks to Starbucks, the initial rough going through a super swamped security line faded away with each sip and by the bottom of the cup and I was ready for the day's trek home.


But first. Yes, first, there was tea to drink, cinnamon coffee cake to nibble, and art to be enjoyed. So enjoy I did.


Can you see the goose landing in a pond with his reflection below in this beautiful aerial sculpture? Wanna know the really cool part? Check out the figurines weighting down the lines. Look really closely.


They're fish. And birds with wings outspread. And umbrellas! Do you see the umbrellas? There's an open one, and a closed one too! (They're in the bottom left corner.) All sorts of symbols known to Seattle.


I just had to take a photo of this. On the left: trash. In the middle: recycling. On the right: food scraps. That's right. Food scraps. SeaTac got wind of a good idea and is promoting it slick and shiny Seattle-style. They're composting food scraps and touting it like this is some brilliant new invention - and to think I grew up in a family that has done this for decades. To think we were hip all along.


This time I may not have seen Mt. Rainier out my window, however I enjoyed great views of the Rocky Mountains as we neared Denver.


These clouds were bubbling over the mountains below.


As I was drinking in views of the mountains and clouds, the wing flaps came up signaling the first leg of the trip home was nearing an end.


The plane dipped to the right and the wingtip outside my window raised high above the horizon.


Then we circled far to the left and the wing tipped as if to tickle the ground below.


And when we were only 40 miles away from Denver the snowline appeared.


And the closer we got, the more the wings extended.


And the ground rushed up to greet us...


All too soon it was over and I was off the plane and in the next. This flight went quickly. Before I knew it the captain announced we were preparing to land and the plane began to circle Des Moines. We passed the Capitol.


Then we passed downtown Des Moines.


The golf course, cloaked in bronzes, signaled we were soon about to land.


And then we were on the ground and the sunlight broke through the clouds. You could just about hear the angelic singing soundtrack playing in the background.


From the back row of the plane, I got to watch everyone else in front of me get up agonizingly slowly and creep down the aisle and off the plane. Didn't they know I had a husband to wrap my arms around only a few hundred paces away?!?


I rushed toward the terminal entrace and wondered in excited anticipation if Jamie would be already waiting for me at the bottom of the escalators.


And he was there! I was so happy. He was there and I was now home.


And so glad my feet were finally planted firmly on the ground and not in the clouds any longer.


This grounded wife is looking forward to a great night's slumber in her own bed (even if the cat may still think it's HIS spot. It's not. Eventually he'll learn.)  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment