Monday, December 6, 2010

Better than the catalog

Every winter we're enticed by the thoughts of spring whenever the Jung Seed Catalog arrives in the mailbox full of photos of bulbs, seeds, and plants which would look fabulous in our yard and garden. This summer I got to do one better than browse through the pages of Jung's catalog. I got to visit a Jung Garden Center on a trip to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Jung's was on the opposite corner from my hotel, and after a good long work day, on the way to dinner - so convenient and so inviting.


Aisle after aisle and hoop house after hoop house was filled with the seeds, plants and bulbs we've only seen in print before. This time I could pick them up, turn them around and see so much more than the little photo with a caption underneath. It was more than fun.


The only way it could have been better was if Jamie had been there with me. To make sure he didn't feel left out, I called him and then ran around the store picking up everything he could think of that he might want or need. We now have really neat marigold seed, bedding plants, and some new dahlia tubers that we didn't have before.


To top it all off, a really cool variegated iris with a cornflower blue bloom and heavenly scent (can't remember the name) came home with me. Jamie liked it a lot and now it's planted near our front sidewalk so we can enjoy it everyday next year. I can't wait until it blooms! Is it Spring yet? I'm ready now. Let's skip this winter snow and cold stuff. We had enough last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment