Sunday, October 9, 2011

Kissed with sunshine

To celebrate a wonderfully sunny and warm October day, today Jamie treated me to a picnic lunch at Ledges State Park and a fun afternoon of exploring the hillsides and drinking in the sunshine and views.

Neither of us had really explored Ledges State Park before so we didn't know what to expect. Once we left the parking area and started down a path I felt like I was back at Ponca State Park where my family used to spend many weekends every summer growing up.

We discovered the view from "Table Rock" and further down the path, we spied this interesting split stone which Jamie nicknamed "Chair Rock."

Every so often we'd come across rugged stone steps. You could tell whomever built them decades ago took pride in their work because they still look so good today. Even so, the steps were so very steep and we were glad we were going down them rather than up!

In the bottom of the valley we discovered why the lower roads were closed - they were under water and washed out in several places. Along one steep limestone wall we found this old faded billboard that someone painted directly onto the limestone wall. Neither of us could make out what the whole thing said because it was so weathered and old.

Above the sign the cliff swallow nests hung tightly into the nooks and crannies of the ledges above our heads. At the very top of the ledge was a path. Next time we come here we'll be sure to save time to find out where that path goes.

One of the best parts about being married to a horticulturist is having an expert wherever I go - so today when I discovered shag bark hickories for the first time - Jamie could tell me all about them. We were trudging tiredly up the hill to go back to the car when suddenly things started falling all around us and I thought we were under attack from squirrels. Jamie was amused and chuckling at me when I stopped to look around at whatever was pelting us from above. As he pointed out, it was only falling hickory nuts.

We have this constantly evolving list of all sorts of cool and unusual trees, shrubs and flowers we want to plant someday when we have an acreage and more space. Shag bark hickory trees will definitely enjoy a permanent spot on that list! Just look at how the bark looks like a bear just shredded it!

Back at the top of the hill we paused to drink in the view and congratulate ourselves on making it all the way to the bottom and back up to the top again.

Probably one of the most unexpected views of the whole day had to be this clever seating! I hadn't exactly expected to see anyone enjoying the autumn colors from a scarlet love seat with white trim at the back of the clearing. I looked around to see if this was actually for a photography shoot for Better Homes and Gardens or Martha Stewart's Living. I didn't see anyone with a camera, so decided to snap a shot myself.

Want to know what surprised me the most of all today? Jamie told me Iowa doesn't require park permits or charge fees to enjoy the state's parks. So while we may have spent a few bucks on lunch and gas money to get here - the whole day was really priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment