Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Counting cows

I should have known I'd get hooked. It all started when I arrived at the Iowa State Fairgrounds Thursday evening, walked towards the Administration Building, and saw three painted concrete cows.


Awhile later we walked past the giant pumpkins outside the Ag Hall, and saw a few more concrete cows. Turning to my hubby, I asked, "What's up with all the cows?" And he told me there are over 60 all over the fairgrounds in honor of the 100th Anniversary of the first butter cow.

[Read Abigail Livingood's blog about the concrete cow she painted here, pictured above]

Mentally adding up the half dozen we'd passed in the last half hour, I thought, Hmmm...Sixty. I've seen about ten percent of them already. Finding the rest can't be that hard. And it'll be a fun way to explore the entire fairgrounds. Cool. Let's do it! And so the challenge was on. I started counting cows and taking photos of each.

  
As beginner's luck would have it, it started strong and as soon as I was hooked, my luck ran out. Before long I was stuck. After the first dozen and a half of the easy-to-find cows, I didn't know where to look next to find the rest. Thankfully I wasn't stuck very long. A good friend shared a photocopy of her Concrete Cow Locations map and I was back in business.


Each day I've been to the Iowa State Fair, I've scoured right and left in hopes of spotting more concrete cows. Saturday we counted several more. Yesterday I enlisted my parents' help and together we found more than a dozen.

Tonight Jamie joined in the adventure and we found a bunch too! We're nearly two-thirds of our way to all sixty. And it's a good thing too because the fair's halfway over and we're running out of time!


So if you'd like to start counting your own concrete cows at the fair, be sure to visit the Butter Cow page on the Iowa State Fair website where you can learn all sorts of cool butter cow facts, print your own Concrete Cow Locations map, and start enjoying the thrill of crossing off those cows from the list, one by one as you find them. And who knows? You may discover new parts of the fair you haven't enjoyed before! Happy counting! Moo!

No comments:

Post a Comment