Monday, March 7, 2011

A museum dedicated to SPAM

Wow! There's a museum for everything. Want to know how I know? I visited the SPAM Museum! This summer I was driving along I-90 and needed a break. Spying a sign for the SPAM Museum in Austin, Minnesota, I was intrigued and followed the signs.


Pulling up to the gate, the guard asked all sorts of questions before letting me pass and park. I didn't realize you have to pass an interrogation just to see the SPAM Museum. You should be thankful I forged ahead so now you know too. Inside, a much friendlier guard asked if I'd had my photo taken with Spammy yet and because, no, I hadn't, we took care of that right away.


The museum was actually really cool. I was a bit hesitant at first, thinking I'd be bombarded by a sample tray of SPAM - but there was actually none of that. Instead, Hormel (parent company behind SPAM) created a really cool museum with interesting displays including an old Hormel wagon and antique Red Wing crocks.


My favorite part of the whole museum? The winding conveyor belt overhead carrying tins of SPAM from room to room. So. Cool.


Well...The gift shop at the exit was pretty cool too. Who knew you could get all kinds of apparel, gadgets, gags and even nice gifts emblazened with the SPAM logo? Outside of seeing the SPAM tent at the Minnesota State Fair, this opened up a whole new world. Here's to more quirky and wacky museums yet to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment