Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Science in motion

Wanna know what I got to do Saturday while Jamie sat through meetings? I escaped on the spouse tour to the St. Louis Science Center.

The first thing I saw inside the door was this giant mechanized ball-drop contraption.

It was so large, it spanned the entire ceiling space from side-to-side and front-to-back. So. Cool.

The whole thing was so entrancing and fun to watch, we climbed up the stairs to get a better view. It was even more fun to watch from above.

I didn't discover the sign explaining what the whole thing was about until we were nearly ready to leave. Physics in Motion - all about Murphy's Law - errrr - I meant Newton's Laws of Motion.

Further into the Science Center we spied the dinosaurs. These were pretty cool. The t-rex moved and roared. I felt sorry for the poor triceratops sprawled on the ground.

On the far side of the center was the Eco Dome, a really large pressurized air-supported inflatable-type bubble structure where we went through the Eco display...

...and I spied the largest solid piece of coal I've ever seen!

Also inside the dome was the Segway corral, where for only $5 you could don a bicycle helmet and try your skill at balancing your way across the floor on a Segway. While watching several other people do this, I couldn't help but think of the inventor of the Segway falling off a cliff on one to meet his early demise. Needless to say, I didn't ride one this time. I think I'll live a little longer first.

My favorite part of the whole place was this cool floor. If you walked across it the image changed so it looked like the breeze and pressure from your footsteps brushed one image off another beneath like leaves blowing off a sidewalk.
In case you get to St. Louis and have some time for fun, check out the Science Center. It's well worth the stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment